Monday, May 2, 2011

Will VS Will

Well this week seems to be my Will to lose weight vs my body's Will to eat food. I am not starving myself but I am going to try and stay under 2500 calories this week.  Now that might sound like a lot to most people but my basal metabolic calorie burn is about 2500 per day and I exercise all the time. Today I swam 10 laps and was trying to work on swimming with my head under the water.
      About 3 years ago I did an indoor tri at the YWCA and in the swim section I was in the fast heat, well I sprinted the first two laps and beat everyone else. During those two laps I didn't take one breath. Well that made me start feeling like I was drowning and gasping for breath. Thats when it started, I finished the Tri with the breast stroke and from then on I have not been swimming with my head under the water. Until today, when I started to work on form and how to breath when I am in the water. Next up to keep swimming, I think I will work on my swimming twice a week for the rest of the summer.
     Now back to my will power. There are a lot of people that think being fat is just because you don't have will power. My father in law is one of these people as are my grand parents. I think most people who think being fat is just a lack of will power are people who have never been fat. I have been thin and I can tell you, its much easier for me to put on weight than someone who has been thin all their life. In the movie Super Size Me the main star talks a little on this point. That after he gained weight it was much harder to lose weight and the weight would go on much faster than it would when he had always been thin. When we are over weight for a period of time our bodies adjust to being over weight and then when we try to diet our brains think we are trying to starve ourselves and go into fat storage mode. I have been playing with losing 10% which is about what our brain will let us lose in a year and not trigger starvation mode in our bodies.  Can I will myself to lose weight by not eating? yes but I will not keep it off once I start eating like normal again.
     As a parent my toughest moments come when all the candy comes into the house for the kids and not eating it. Then again when I should be working out but my kids are home and I don't have enough time to exercise and play with my kids. Well my kids always win and my workouts lose. I hope this summer I can go for a lot of bike rides with my daughter so I can spend time with her and work out at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment