Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Strep and a Train Hit me

Well I have had a rough week. I got strep and missed out  hanging out with my wife and mom on mothers day. Instead I spent the day in bed. It made me think of my own mortality more, I keep seeing these things that make me realize that I need to lose weight and keep it off.
   I was talking with a trainer at my club on Friday, his name is Tim, great guy he teaches one of the classes I do. Anyway he was talking to me about the transition from playing football to being post university sport in shape. He told me about how he had to lose muscle as well as fat but cutting 50 plus pounds from his frame really made his body move well and his joins not hurt. I think I can cut more than 50 pounds . I  don't want a body that makes me look like I work out a lot but a body with which I can work out in the rest of my life. I guess my biggest motivating factor is my kids and wanting to be able to chase them around and be active with them. I don't want to be a guy who slows down to much as I get older I want to age well. I was talking to my 86 year old grandpa last night and he still does 60 min of cardio 5 days a week. He broke it down for me that he does 20 min on the rower, 20 min on the treadmill, and 20 min on the elliptical. I thought, "wow that's about what I do now on a cardio day". I wonder If I will be able to do that when I am 86?
     I know one thing I am working on really changing my diet and adding life long exercise programs that I can do even when I am old'er =)  Grandpa sets a good path for me even if his house is and always has been full of cookie jars overflowing with cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment