Monday, October 24, 2022

Bike crash on Highway 61 North shore and how Giro saved my life!

Ever been in an accident you might not have walked away from?



This weekend I did a solo ride from Duluth to Two Harbors Minnesota on old HWY 61. It's a beautiful ride around lake Superior all right next to the lake and next to two-way car traffic.

Around mile 6 I had an accident. The first thing I remember was my head hitting the road and wondering if my Giro Sport Design helmet was going to protect my head from crushing.

Well it did, it took on the road at 15 miles an hour with a big guy inside it. My lung didn't do so well. The helmet cracked and took the impact. Talking with my doctor she said if I didn't have a helmet on I would not be talking to her today.

As I got up from the crash I saw stars and right away two different people stopped to check and see if I was ok. One was an off-duty EMT and she asked me a bunch of questions to make sure I was ok. - My faith in the kindness and humanity in people is elevated -

I continued 35 more miles to my destination for a coffee and then back to my car with some treats I picked up for my kids on the trip.

I found out this afternoon that instead of broken ribs I have a slightly punctured left lung. It hurts a lot but I am grateful it was not worse.

I am also grateful because my Giro helmet saved my life. Purchased at Erik's Bike Shop, Inc. as a gift from family on fathers day.

PLEASE wear a helmet!





What have you walked away from that if not for one thing protecting you it would have been different?

I am grateful for today!

More pics of the helmet after the crash are in the comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment