Wednesday, January 8, 2020

2020 and some new self care and Thankfulness


It has again been a while since I posted. My dad passes away in January of 2019. He had cancer and Hep C. It was a very trying time. I will address a little of that since I have talked here about me as a parent. I know that part of why I try so hard to be a good parent is because of my relationship with my dad. We did not spend a lot of time together when I was growing up. To start he was a drummer in a rock band and on the road all of the time. My mom and he split paths when I was 2 or 3. There was always a void that I did not understand and still work on to this day.  My mom did her best but there is a hole when kids don't have 2 parents around. As I grew up my dad got married and had 2 more kids and got divorced. He spent time with me here and there but we were not close. My dad drank a lot and the best times we had was when he was sober for periods of time. Again this is a big part of why I don't drink much. 



Fall of 2018 I spend more time with my dad than I had in a long time. But as it often seems to do cancer got the better of him. Slow downhill for months then a fast fade into death.I mourn my dad and the vision of a perfect future where he was sober and where we were close that never came to be. 

I never fell off my workouts but I did eat more of the bad things than I should have. Comfort food is not good for you but you do what you can when you are mourning.

I did the weight loss competition at the YWCA over this winter and I lost a pound from Thanksgiving to New years. I remember years where I would put on 30 pounds over the holidays. I hope those times are gone now. I have been focusing on self-care, more time away from screens and things that cause me stress. I have been trying to cut out sweets and stop eating in the early evening.

I am doing the Red Ribbon Ride again this year 225 miles through Minnesota to fight AIDS / HIV and lots of bike training leading up to it.

I will post more this year. I will also love myself more and slow down the insanity of life.

I hope you are doing well in your weight loss and care journey. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Peace,

Gabe



No comments:

Post a Comment