Saturday, October 21, 2017

Life is Messy Woman yell for help while Baby screams into the night - Heroin in Juneau Alaska



As I was jogging tonight I though of my trip to Alaska or rather a part of it I must have put somewhere deep in my head to forget.

I had just got back from my visit to Glacier Bay and was staying in Juneau. I went shopping after a little hike and was walking back to my hotel groceries in hand. It was a pitch-black night about 50 degrees the mountains creeping in from all sides. I had my bear spray on my belt since I knew there were bears all over this town. I heard a woman yelling then it turned to screams for help. I hear a baby start crying and smashing noises. For a second I though I must have been hearing things. I was hearing something it turned out to be a bad case of domestic violence 100 yards ahead of me. Across from my hotel there was a house and a lot that looked abandoned. There was a truck camper in the lot, a little one like you fit on the back of a pickup truck. I don't know what all was inside the little camper but as I walked quickly towards it I heard a woman screaming for help and a baby screaming in pain. I also heard smashing and a man yelling. I almost rushed right in with my can of bear spray. Really I was a second from doing it bear spray in hand. Then I thought about my kids and family. 




I quickly called the police and told them what was going on and where I was. Picture me standing shaking, bear spray in hand, across the street from a trailer with what sounded like a woman and child being killed. I remember my cousin saying that Heroin had gotten bad in Juneau. I think this was part of the result. I started yelling that I called the police and a drunk man came out of nowhere and started yelling at the people in the trailer to stop. I yelled more and less than 2 minutes later 4 squad cars rolled up silent but lights flashing. 8 police got out, I yelled where to go and they all extended beating sticks. I could still hear the baby crying and the woman crying for help so I don’t think they were dead. I darted into the lobby of my hotel as the police broke into the trailer. After that I hid. I was scared someone would come for me. My hotel was across the parking lot from the camper and my room access was outside facing the camper and the police. Anyone looking would know where I was. 

After that nothing happened. Silence filled the night. I am still alive and I think the woman and child are. I know their screams will haunt me for the rest of my life. I don't know if I did exactly the right thing but I think I did. 


Life is scary and messy, embrace what you can and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment